Major Highlights From Draft Mediation Bill
Nov 23, 2021, 10:50 IST
The government has issued a Draft Mediation Bill for Public Consultation, that seeks to safeguard the interest of litigants to approach competent adjudicatory forums
- Draft Mediation Bill provides for pre-litigation mediation.
- According to the bill, the successful outcome of mediation has been made enforceable by law, in the form of a Mediation Settlement Agreement.
- Bill provides for the creation of a Mediation Council of India.
- The draft bill proposes to bring about a standalone law on Mediation regarding the issues of domestic and international mediation because India is a signatory to the Singapore Convention on Mediation.
- According to the draft bill, registration of the Mediation Settlement Agreement has been provided with the legal authorities in State, District, and Taluk within 90 days for ensuring maintenance of authenticated records of the settlement.