What is the Purpose of Form 24 under the Motor Vehicle Registration Act?
There are two different Form 24s used under the Motor Vehicle Registration Act in India, each serving a distinct purpose:
1. Form 24 for Transfer of Ownership:
This form is primarily used to notify the registering authority about the sale of a motor vehicle and to transfer the ownership to the buyer. It's essential when purchasing a used vehicle and ensures the legal transfer of registration and responsibility.
2. Form 24 for Alteration of Vehicle:
This form is used when you want to make significant changes to your vehicle. This could include:
- Changing the engine or chassis
- Converting the vehicle from one type to another (e.g., petrol to CNG)
- Adding or removing axles or trailers
- Making major structural modifications
Using Form 24 for alterations helps ensure the modified vehicle complies with safety regulations and maintains its roadworthiness.