Understanding Your Rights: Dealing with Police Abuse in India
If a police officer slaps and abuses you in India, you have a number of rights. These include:
- The right to be treated with respect and dignity.
- The right to be informed of the reason for your arrest.
- The right to remain silent.
- The right to have a lawyer present during questioning.
- The right to be produced before a magistrate within 24 hours of your arrest.
- The right to file a complaint against the police officer who abused you.
If you have been slapped and abused by a police officer, you should first try to calm down and gather your thoughts. Then, you should contact a lawyer who can help you file a complaint against the police officer. You can also file a complaint with the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC). The NHRC is an independent body that investigates human rights abuses in India.