Consequences of Carrying a Fake Driving Licence in India
Carrying a fake driving licence in India is a serious offense with several potential consequences, both legal and practical:
- Forgery: Possessing and using a fake driving licence constitutes forgery, a punishable offense under the Indian Penal Code (IPC) Section 465. This can lead to imprisonment for up to two years, or a fine, or both.
- Cheating: Using a fake driving licence to deceive authorities or gain an unfair advantage can be considered cheating under IPC Section 420. This can also lead to imprisonment for up to two years, or a fine, or both.
- Driving with a suspended or disqualified license: If the holder of the fake license has a real license that is suspended or disqualified, they may face additional penalties under the Motor Vehicles Act. These penalties can include fines, imprisonment, and even confiscation of the vehicle.
- Increased risk of accidents: Fake license holders are less likely to have undergone proper driving training and testing, which significantly increases the risk of accidents and injuries.
- Denial of insurance claims: Insurance companies are not obligated to honor claims arising from accidents caused by drivers using fake licenses. This can leave the driver financially responsible for any damages caused.
- Difficulty renting vehicles: Many car rental companies require valid driving licenses as proof of identity and driving ability. A fake license will not be accepted, and the company may refuse to rent a vehicle.
- Loss of employment: Some jobs require employees to hold valid driving licenses. If a fake license is discovered during employment verification, it could lead to termination.
In addition to these consequences, the government of India is taking steps to crack down on fake licenses. This includes:
- Improved security features: The new driving licenses in India have various security features, such as holograms and microprinting, making them more difficult to forge.
- Increased enforcement: The authorities are conducting more frequent checks to identify fake licenses and prosecute offenders.
- Stricter penalties: The government is proposing to increase the penalties for possessing and using fake driving licenses, including longer jail terms and higher fines.
Therefore, it is important to be aware of the severe consequences of carrying a fake driving licence in India. It is not worth the risk of facing legal repercussions, jeopardizing your financial security, and potentially harming yourself or others.